3.15.2005

My Gallbladder...or Lack There of...

Well, for those of you who have been wondering where exactly I wandered off to and haven't heard about my incident, I will share with you where exactly I have been hiding...mind you, this was not by choice, but by extreme discomfort and excruciating pain, that I have been away.

Let me start by saying that the rest of my week at MK was grrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat! Jeff was able to meet me for lunch one day and I got off early Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday at 3:30 p.m. which was really nice! Well, Friday when I got off of work, I was feeling kinda funny in the tummy, so when I got home I went and laid down on the bed for about three hours. I figured I just ate something that was gonna give me distress. So, for dinner I had a bowl and a half of cheerios (I say a half because there was a gob of milk left after the first bowl so I added more cheerios to use up the milk) and sat down on the couch to get ready to enjoy the evening. We all decided to retire for the night around 11 p.m. and after arranging my bed on the couch, I leaned back and began watching t.v. until I could doze off. Well, the dozing never happened. About five minutes after I laid down I got this sharp pain in my back...like a severly pulled muscle on the right side...so, I tried stretching it out, but nothing seemed to work. (Side Note: Back in December, while visiting my aunt and uncle after Christmas, I had this same pain...it lasted for about an hour and then went away, so I decided it was the same thing and it would subside; however, I was wrong...really, really wrong!)

I finally decided to get Jeff and let him know how I was feeling. He came out and tried to massage what we decided was a "kink" in my back...he said he could feel it in my muscle. By this time, it was after midnight and I just kept thinking if I could throw-up I would feel so much relief. So, I made my way to the bathroom and sat on the floor and laid my head on the toilet seat with the lid down. It was so cool in there and the floor and seat felt so good to me...after about 10 or 15 minutes Jeff asked me if I was okay...he kept good tabs on me...and I told him I felt like I was gonna be sick..so thereafter I was....only...I was sick like clockwork every 15 minutes after the first time. By this time, the pain had made it's way around to the front of my abdomin and I asked Jeff if I could turn on the computer to look at WebMD...because I thought for sure this was my gallbladder acting up. So, I turned on the bright, blinding computer screen and proceeded to diagnose myself with a gallbladder issue. Not knowing how long this issue might remain one, I decided I needed to go to the Emergency Room.

So, I threw on some clothes and clipped my hair back as best I could and Jeff swept me away to the ER which seemed like it was an eternity away. He cautiously drove through several red lights realizing that my condition was not improving one bit...at this point the plastic bag I was clutching to was getting far too much attention...if you get my drift. When we finally arrived at the ER, Jeff dropped me at the front door and I finally found my way to the check in window and proceeded to try to write my name when Jeff arrived to take over. They took me back for the general screening of your temperature, blood pressure, and questions about exactly why you have decided to make your way to the ER at 1:40 a.m. so you can writhe in pain until they have a place to put you. So, I told them my thoughts on the issue and they proceeded to continue with agonizing paperwork while I stood up, sat down, and wanted desperately to just lay down on the nasty hospital floor...anything to relieve the pain. "So, what is your pain on a scale of 1 to 10?" 11?!?! Hello? Can you not see that I keep repeating "I hurt", "Owweee", and another number of painful words while grabbing at my side and leaning over to try to relieve some of this PAIN....this all ends with "I'm sorry, you'll have to go back to the waiting room because all our beds are full (what??? I'm dying here!!!), but you are way ahead of most people on the list." Who, everybody but the old lady who keeps staring at me like I have three heads??? So, we sat...or Jeff sat and tried to hold me and calm me down, but when you're in pain like that...or at least I felt this way, I didn't want anyone or anything touching me. I told him I was sorry, but I just hurt................like the fiery inferno below us.

As I continued to be sick, I could hear these ladies behind me saying how I needed to go to the bathroom to throw up and didn't they tell me that at the desk. Then there was a guy with his son there...and he was just staring at me like he had never seen a sick person before...I am sorry, but I am ill. I have every right to be here...just as much as all the other sickies do...I just happen to be a little sicker!!!!!!!! Anyway, after making my way to the toilet to proceed with my problem....there I am again...being riticuled by the eyes of the old lady who kept staring at me that was sitting outside the toilet door. Geez, people, get a life. I hope I don't stare at people in Emergency Rooms...it is so impolite!

So, after sending Jeff to tell them I was heaving blood...they decide I am worth their time and find me a room....five hours later...after having an abdominal ultrasound, blood taken, hours of Jeff sitting there with me...loving on me and telling me I am beautiful despite the fact that I'm sure I look like death warmed over...let me repeat myself....FIVE hours later...we finally see a doctor. Nice guy. Tells me I need to have my gallbladder out immediately so I don't suffer anymore pain. He came back a few minutes later to tell me they could schedule the surgery for Saturday afternoon....and I said "Go for it!" I didn't want to deal with this pain ever again!!!!

To say the least..the rest of the night and next day are somewhat of a blur. Between pain meds and rides on a gurney, poor Jeff stayed up 38 hours without any sleep to be with me, by my side, answering questions for me, taking good care of me...I think I owe him about a million kisses...so I guess I better get started...he's worth every one! I couldn't have done this without him!!! =)

Soooooooooooooooooooo....that's where I've been hiding. I will report back with more details later....I am recovering well at home for now and won't go back to work until next Monday so I can fully recover.

3 Comments:

Blogger Teresa said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Teresa said...

Oh my goodness!!!! You poor thing! That's horrible! I'm so glad that Jeff was there to take such good care of you. Get well very soon and take good care of yourself! You're in my prayers! Love ya!

4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just finished reading about your surgery and was so glad to hear all is well. I know it is awful to be so sick with pain. Thanks Jeff for taking care of our friend. Carol didn't know you had this Blogger so I am sending her your blogger address so she can catch up on the news. She misses hearing from you. She will be excited to get the lowdown on what is happening in your world. I can't believe you are a Mary Kay Girl. Way to Go! I saw the photo and you are right, that is a huge building. Dawn, Carol and I are going on a "girl night out" in a couple of weeks, but we will sure miss you and will think of you as we are together. As you know, we are having the Kay DeKalb Smith Event for the RBC Ladies in April. I could sure use your creativity to sell tickets. You always were so good to work with on events and projects. Miss you. Love you Jo

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home