10.28.2005

Valium, Nitrous Oxide and Other Fond Dental Memories...

I did it. I finally went to the dentist. The girl who used to work in my position recommended a dentist just about 2 blocks from the church and it was wonderful, well as wonderful as a dentist office can be. The office was bustling with people which is a 'good sign' to me since that usually means people like the dentist. When I called to price their services the lady was incredibly kind and I just knew that was where I was to go. So, I called back and got an appointment for Thursday (yesterday) at 9 a.m. I was able to go p/u my x-ray from the other dentist so I didn't have to have another one taken and spend more of my hard-earned dollar. So, I went in and the doctor's name is Jeff...go figure. I told him "all I need is another Jeff in my life". He was really nice and he was telling me about something that was going on at his church Wednesday night which is cool. Anywhow, before I knew it Doc. Jeff was confirming my worst fear...I did need a root canal and a crown. YUCK!!!! Of course, at that point my mind was racing with the worst fears not of the the root canal, but of the choking factor. He then told me if I didn't take care of it before the weekend, I would be wishing I had. Since I had already experienced PAIN, I decided to take the first available appointment which happened to be at 1 pm...then he asked if was anxious at all and I told him my fear of choking during the procedure so he had the nurse write me up a prescription for valium so I could conk out during the whole thing! Wow! Awesome! I can handle this! So, I had to be back at noon so I could sit for an hour while the downer kicked in.

So, I left ran (nearly literally) to work and did one quick errand, jumped in my SUV, dashed to CVS for the drugs, sped over to Weinerswitzel my favorite hotdog on a pretzel bun, dashed back to pick up the drugs, dashed back to work and it was nearly noon already. My co-worker and dentist-suggester, Kathy dropped me off at the dentist and away I went. After swallowing the pills, I sat down in a chair in the lobby and promptly waited for them to take over...after looking at what seemed like a million magazines I was beginning to wonder if they were really going to work, but once they called me back...that was all she wrote. I was out. However, my worst fear did happen...I woke up somewhere in the middle of the procedure in a hot sweat...I felt like someone had thrown me in a hot bath and I was trembling...and then I was out again. However, when I got up to leave the chair once Jeff arrived to take me home, I felt as if I had wet my pants. I think it was just sweat, I hope it was! =)

So, Jeff took me home and it's all been good since then. Still not chewing on that side, but I get the real crown on November 21st. So, I'll check back in soon! Christmas is making it's debut early around the church as usual...trying to get everything nailed down!

P.S. Sorry, I forgot to publish the post until now...

1 Comments:

Blogger Teresa said...

All I can say is OUCH - for your mouth and for your checkbook! Glad that you found a great dentist and that it went well, though. :)

6:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home